NewsTragic end to search as final missing US soldier found in Lithuania

Tragic end to search as final missing US soldier found in Lithuania

It is with a heavy heart that we inform you that the body of the fourth missing US soldier from 25 March has been found, the US Army Command in Europe and Africa announced in a unique statement.

Search operation
Search operation
Images source: © usarmyeuraf, x.com

The fourth soldier of the United States Army, assigned to the 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, was found dead on the afternoon of 1 April near Pabradė, Lithuania, according to an urgent statement by the US Army Command in Europe and Africa.

The soldier's identity will not be disclosed until the soldier's next of kin are informed of the matter.

The fourth soldier found in the United States Army was assigned to the 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division. The soldier was in Lithuania as part of Operation Atlantic Resolve, aimed at land deterrence in cooperation with allies and partners. He was permanently assigned to a unit at Fort Stewart, Georgia.

Tragic end to the search for American soldiers

First and foremost, we extend our condolences to the families of our soldiers, said General Christopher Donahue, commander of the US Army in Europe and Africa, as cited in the statement.

I cannot express the immense support shown to us by our Lithuanian allies. We relied on them, and together with our allies from Poland and Estonia, sailors, airmen, and engineers from the Corps of Engineers, they enabled us to find and bring our soldiers home. He said this is a tragic event, but it reminds us what it means to have true allies and friends.

Let us recall: four American soldiers went missing on 25 March during exercises at the training ground in Podbrodzė, located about 15 to 20 kilometers from the Lithuanian border with Belarus. Their tracked vehicle, M88A2, was found in the swamps.

Lithuanian and foreign servicemen and helicopters from the Lithuanian Air Force and State Border Guard were deployed for the search and rescue operation. Rescuers from Poland also joined.

The last week has been devastating. Today our hearts bear the weight of unimaginable pain at the loss of the last of our soldiers, said Major General Christopher Norrie, commander of the 3rd Infantry Division. Although we have achieved closure in some sense, the world without them is darker, he said.

American soldiers are dead. Tragedy in Lithuania

The operation to retrieve the vehicle sunken in the swamp was completed early Monday morning. The vehicle was located about 4 metres below the water surface, under approximately a 2-metre layer of mud.

The armoured vehicle was pulled ashore at 3:40 AM GMT, the towing operation was completed, and the Lithuanian Military Police and US investigators were working, said the Lithuanian Minister of National Defence on Monday morning. Meanwhile, the US Army Command in Europe and Africa (USAREUR-AF) reported that the bodies of three soldiers were found inside.

On Monday, the Lithuanian prosecutor's office announced that it has launched a preliminary investigation into the matter. The investigation is being conducted by the Lithuanian Prosecutor General's Office.

The US Army is also investigating the causes of the accident. As the investigation progresses, more information will be available.

Related content